By «the Music corner» we mean the cities of Markneukirchen, Klingenthal and Schönek, that belong to the Sachsen part of Vogtland. The region lies south of Leipzig, west of Dresden, southwest of Prague and north of Bayreuth and Nürnberg. In other words in the middel of the «heart» of art, culture and music.
In Böhmen, conflicts between the protestants and the catholics arose. The protestants moved to the Sachsen part of Vogtland. Amongst these were 12 violin maker masters from Graslitz (today Kraslice, Tjsjekkia). They founded the violin maker´s guild on the 6th of March, 1677. The foundation stone for what we call the musical instrument maker tradition was laid.
The development of musical instrument making was as follows:
- 1677- Violin maker`s guild in Vogtland
- 1716- Violin maker`s guild in Klingenthal
- 1720- First effort to produce strings in Markneukirchen
- 1750- (approx.) Bow makers, Pipe makers/Wind makers in Markneukirchen
- 1755- The building of brass instruments in Markneukirchen
- 1777- the string makers guild in Markneukirchen
- 1796- Production of strings in Klingenthal
- 1799- Building of brass instruments in Klingenthal
- 1800- (approx.) Building of guitars in Markneukirchen
- 1829- Production of harmonicas in Klingenthal
- 1850- Ziter building in Markneukirchen
- 1852- Production of accordions in Klingenthal
- 1890- (approx.) Building of wind instruments in Klingenthal
- 1952- Establishment of the institute For Musical Instruments Technology in Zwota.
- 1960- Production of Music electronic in Vogtland
- Piano and organ has been made in different towns in Vogtland
Markneukirchen has the world´s oldest tradition in the making of orchestral instruments. Markneukirchen also has more musical instrument makers than any other city. There are both one-man enterprises and large factories with several hundred employees.
«Handwerkskammer Chemnitz», klingenthal instrument maker school, and «Fachscule fur Angewandte kunst Musikinstrumentbau in Markneukirchen, have all worked closely with The Musical Instruemnt Academy and 50% of our teaching personnel comes from this region!